- Texas, USA -
Veterinarian DANA RENEE BOEHM (pictured below), turned herself in at the Travis County Jail on Wednesday, June 16, for the warrants issued from Williamson County.
The arrest is in connection with the death of a dog who was boarded at the Wellness Veterinary Hospital in March 2021.
CBS Austin reports that a 5-year-old English Bulldog named Jax, was taken by his guardian to the Wellness Veterinary Hospital in the 4213 block of FM 3349 in Taylor between March 13th through March 20th.
According to the Williamson County Sheriff’s Office, when Jax’s guardian went back to the clinic to pick him up, the furbaby was unable to walk, was covered in urine, and had sores all over his body.
At that point, the guardian took Jax to another clinic for emergency treatment.
Sadly, Jax had to be put down due to his injuries.
Jax’s guardian told the sheriff’s office that his furbaby was healthy before being boarded in the clinic.
As reported by CBS Austin, “A home security video was obtained from the owner dated March 13th which showed Jax in a healthy condition.”
An investigation was launched after detectives received pictures showing Jax’s injuries and the sheriff’s office subsequently reported:
· Four holes in Jax’s hind leg and two holes the size of a quarter between his foot and hip.
· Jax’s skin was noted as completely missing in some areas and exposing either bone, ligaments and or tendons.
· A hole was observed on Jax’s leg about the size of a dime.
· Photos showed what appeared to be another hind limb with a hole the size of a quarter in it and other injuries.
On May 20, WilCo detectives along with the State Board of Veterinarians executed a search warrant at BOEHM’s clinic and the following was reported:
· Unclean, unhealthy conditions in the areas Jax would have been kept and had access.
· Strong, foul odors, feces, urine puddles, urine-soaked clothing, uncapped used syringes, and loose medications.
· Animals being kenneled and boarded in these conditions, as well as a lack of food and water.
As a result of the investigation, the guardians of the animals who were at the clinic were contacted and they then picked up their furbabies.
The warrant issued for BOEHM for animal cruelty is a Class A misdemeanor.
The sheriff’s office said the investigation is ongoing and further charges are being considered.
Surely, the death of an innocent dog cannot be a MISDEMEANOR, we are not talking about a parking violation here!
I expect more charges to come, I expect BOEHM’s license to be permanently revoked, and I expect a life ban from being around animals.
WWLP reports that BOEHM bonded out of jail.
As I was searching for BOEHM’s records, I came across an offense she committed in 2007.
Voice For Us Disclaimer: This story is sourced from official news outlets. Links included.
Details may be removed or additional information may be provided in future should such sources report an update.
BOEHM’s booking picture via Hutto Police Department 2007.